Noodles and Diabetes

I just wanted to rave about these carb free noodles I tried! I am sure some of you have already heard of them. These are the Shirataki (Yam) Noodles (aka Konnyaku Noodles). They are made from Elephant Yam Fiber, so they have zero calories, zero fat and zero carbs. They are 100% fiber, so it just passes through you and makes you feel full. It takes on the taste of anything you flavor it with. These have been eaten in Japan for thousands of years. I highly recommend them as they are a good filler for dieting and they don't raise your blood sugar. I just did a test to confirm it. My bs was 90 before eating and after 1 hr, it was 103 and at 2 hrs it was 93. (oh..and in my experiment, I didn't take my medication with my meal as I normally do so that nothing interfered with the test).

These noodles are available on the internet (see link below), and in Japanese stores. I have to admit, they are pricey on the internet mainly because of the shipping/handling. They are cheaper at Japanese stores. I would check for any local Japanese stores near you first before buying them online. For those of you in the NYC Metropolitan area, there is a Japanese Marketplace in Fort Lee called Mitsuwa on River Road that carries these noodles at half the internet price and twice the size bag! There are also Tofu-Shirataki Noodles out there that are available at Whole Foods, but I didn't really like them. They have a small amount of carbs (aprox 2-3 carbs/serving), but I think the Yam Noodles are much better, especially with regards to texture. Anyway, I hope this helps. If you do try them, let me know what you think!!!

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/



Learn how to cook noodles:



and

No comments:

Post a Comment